One of the premier trout fisheries in Montana, The Missouri River is a haven for any two-handed angler. It is a river of constant surprise, adventure, and challenge. Prolific hatches of Mayfly/Caddis, from April through November, makes for happy fish. In the late summer and early fall, Tricos and Caddis are abundant. Clouds of insects bring pods of fish to the surface, perfect to let a Trico pattern drift lazily on top and slightly below the surface, or swing a Skittering caddis when the opportunity arises.
Fly line and leader of choice:
• Running line: Slick Shooter 25 pound
• Fly Line: RIO Products InTouch Trout Spey Shooting Head overall Length: 22 Feet
• Leader: RIO Products Powerflex Plus Trout 3x or 4X Tapered Leader, 7.5’
• Rigging: RIO Products Tippet Rings
• Tippet: RIO Products Powerflex Plus 4x Tippet
Enjoy the swing.
Putting it altogether:
• Start out with your Favorite Trout Spey, 2 or 3 weight
• Attach Reel, spooled with 20 pound Fly Line Backing
• Attach Fly Line Backing to Slick Shooter with a loop to loop connection
• Attach Trout Spey Shooting Head to Slick Shooter with a loop to loop connection
• Attach Leader to the Trout Spey Shooting Head with a loop to loop connection.
• Attach the tippet ring to end of leader with a clinch knot
• Attach approximately 3 feet of PowerFlex Plus 4x Tippet to Tippett ring with a clinch knot
One Fly Rig:
• Attach Fly to PowerFlex Plus 4x tippet with a clinch knot
Two Fly Rig:
• Attach Fly by slipping the eye of the hook through the 3 feet of PowerFlex Plus 4x Tippet. Blood knot your second piece of PowerFlex Plus 4x to the end of the first piece of tippet add second fly
Whitney Gould is a guide of the staff of HeadHunters Fly Shop, located in Craig Montana. HeadHunters offers an impressive combination of local trout spey knowledge, know-how, and quality control. Contact Headhunters FlyShop for your next Trout Spey Adventure.